Thursday, October 6, 2011

Help, I've Fallen…

(Published on iSurf News on October 6, 2011)


No, I've not really fallen, but it is my favorite time of year. I love fall and everything that goes with it. I love the cooler temperatures with the weather, I love the colors that we see when God decides to change the different shades of green to all the brilliant colors and I love all the fall festivals.
In recent years, it seems that we have not been able to enjoy the four different seasons like I remember from years ago. We used to have a spring, summer, fall and winter. In the past 10 years or so it seems like we only have two seasons that I have renamed, Hot and Cold or Snow and Rain. Either way, we usually experience one extreme or the other.
The past few days have allowed us to enjoy some beautiful weather. I hate it that I have to sit in an office all day while the sun is shining and people are talking about how gorgeous it is outside. I may as well shut the blinds because if I cannot enjoy it, I do not want to look at it through the glass. These days are what I call “Hookey Weather”. I have not played hookey lately, only because Karma is never too far from me. Whenever I play hookey, within a few days, I will get sick. It never fails.
So, before the Fall rains set in, get out and enjoy the changes that are heading our way. If you cannot take a day for a relaxing drive to enjoy the changing of the colors, try going to a park for a quiet lunch or a brisk walk. What about walking through your neighborhood, maybe stopping to chat with a neighbor? At the least, go outside and sit on your porch or in your front yard and take in the amazing sights of the fall season. Maybe if we all tried a few of these activities, we would feel better and less stressed.
Another thing that makes fall special, it is my birthday!! Not that I am so excited about adding another candle to the cake, I just love this time of year and having my own special day during this time.

Here are some of my favorite fall recipes.


Cheese Stuffed Baked Potatoes
4 baking potatoes
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1/4 cup skim milk
3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup mild or medium salsa
Bake potatoes in 450 degree own until tender, 45 minutes to an hour. Blend cottage cheese and milk in the blender until they are smooth. Put into a bowl and stir in the mozzarella and salsa. Allow potatoes to cool enough to handle, cut them in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh into the bowl of cheese and salsa. Mix well. Put shells on a baking sheet. Spoon the cheese mixture into the potato shells and return them to the oven for 15 or 20 minutes, until they are brown and crusty.



Easy Minestrone
3 14-ounce cans beef broth
1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 14-1/2-ounce can low-sodium stewed tomatoes
1 11-1/2-ounce can vegetable juice
1 6-ounce can ow-sodium tomato paste
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
1-1/2 cups loose-pack frozen mixed vegetables (such as an Italian blend)
2 cups fresh spinach leaves, cut into strips
2 cups cooked pasta (1 cup uncooked), such as small shells or mostaccioli
Finely shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
In a large kettle combine broth, beans, stewed tomatoes, vegetable juice, tomato paste, sugar, and Italian seasoning. Bring to boiling. Add mixed vegetables. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add spinach and cooked pasta; heat through. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.



Easy Apple Cake
2 c. finely diced apples
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten
1 c. unsifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1 tsp. vanilla or brandy
Place apples in mixing bowl, add sugar. Stir to mix; let stand 1/2 hour. Add oil and egg; blend. Mix and sift flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Stir in. Add vanilla and walnuts. Turn into well-greased and floured pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Serves 10.



NEXT WEEK—My Friend Joe

Remember......Life is short. Eat Dessert first!!

1 comment:

  1. Misty @ Hopkins County CouponerOctober 7, 2011 at 3:28 AM

    Fall always brings memeories of Bake Sales to mind, that used to be a big fund raiser when I was in school, they don't have school bake sales anymore. My favorite bake sale item is home made suckers. Feels just like I am sitting in my aunt's toasty warm kitchen again! I can see mom and barbara ann working on those suckers, and it's like I can reach out and touch the memory! Man, that sugar mixture is hot and that cinnamon smell is to die for! Thanks, Leigh!

    ReplyDelete