Thursday, September 29, 2011

My Life According To Maxine

(Published on iSurf News on September 29, 2011)

Some days, I think Maxine is my alter ego. She can say exactly what she thinks and no one minds. If I said some of the things Maxine says, I would either be fired or shot.

Maxine, The Crabby Lady, was created in 1986 when Hallmark launched Shoebox Cards, and today she is one of Hallmark's top selling characters. Created by John Wagner, who Maxine calls “Arty-Boy”, the character was inspired by his mother and his grandmother. Usually, a cartoon character will begin first as a cartoon, and then moved on to a greeting card. However, Maxine performed this feat in reverse. Her syndicated cartoon strip, Crabby Road, ended in 2002 but she can be found in books available through Hallmark as well as her own licensed merchandise.



Maxine spouts off whatever is on her mind at the time. Nothing is off limits to her-love, politics, attitude, taxes and aging disgracefully. There are so many times that I want to speak whatever is on my mind. It seems that as I get older, I can see more humor in situations that I used to not even give a second thought. When we are young, we are careful what we say and do; we do not want to be different. As I get older, I have learned that what others think of me does not matter. I cannot control what someone thinks, says or does, so I must live my life and only I will be held accountable for my thoughts, words or actions.


So, since I must hold my tongue in many social situations, I will let Maxine speak my mind while I giggle and agree with her. If you would like to enjoy some Maxine cartoons, check out this website about The Crabby Lady,
http://www.hallmark.com/online/maxine/about/


 

And while you are at it, enjoy some delicious, easy crabby recipes.

Crab Melt


1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 can (about 6 ounces) refrigerated pasteurized crabmeat, drained
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Paprika
Crackers

Heat the oven to 350°F. Stir the cream cheese, crabmeat, mayonnaise, onion, mustard and Worcestershire in a 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle with the paprika. Bake for 15 minutes or until the mixture is hot and bubbling. Serve with the crackers.
 


Crabwiches


English Muffins
Cooked crab meat
Fresh Tomato Slices
Swiss Cheese Slices
Mayo

Split the English Muffins and place on a cookie sheet, apply a thin layer of Mayo (we use Dukes); then cover 1/2 with sautéed or cooked crab meat and the other 1/2 with a slice of tomato and a slice of Swiss Cheese on top. Broil until the Cheese melts.
 
 


Crab Meat Casserole

1 lb Crab Meat
1 medium Onion, chopped
6 slices whole wheat Bread
1 cup Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp Mustard
1 can (5oz) Evaporated Milk
salt and Pepper, to taste
1/3 stick Margarine

Break wheat bread into small pieces. Combine all ingredients, except margarine, in a large bowl and stir until well blended. Do this a couple of hours before cooking to enhance flavor. Melt margarine in a 12 x 8 x 2 inch casserole dish before adding mixture. Bake in oven at 350F for 45 minutes.
 
 

NEXT WEEK—Help, I've Fallen......

Remember......Life is short. Eat Dessert first!!

3 comments:

  1. Misty @ Hopkins County CouponerSeptember 29, 2011 at 7:50 PM

    You just gotta love a woman who speaks her mind! I'm thinking of Kathy Bates in Fried Green Tomatoes and Shirley McClain in Steal Magnolias! And of course, you gotta love Harry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right! I loved Shirley McClain in Steal Magnolias. And yes, gotta love my Harry! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three great looking crab recipes, look forward to trying each of them.
    And thanks for the link, she always brings a smile to my day with her humor.

    ReplyDelete