Thursday, October 20, 2011

Full of Bologna

(Published on iSurf News on October 20, 2011)

Since October 24 is National Bologna Day I figured we would just talk about a lot of bologna for this week.

Bologna sandwiches are so much better when someone else makes them. I'm not sure why, I just know they are. I recently shared with you that my Granny Goldie always made the best bologna sandwiches in the world. There was just something about the way she slapped that piece of meat between two pieces of bread. Since she has been gone for many years, I only have the memories of those scrumptious sandwiches.


Last week, a friend of mine brought me a bologna sandwich. There was bologna, tomato, lettuce and mayo loaded up on two pieces of fresh white bread. I could not get it out of the sandwich bag fast enough. I will have to admit, my friend Angie makes a mean bologna sandwich. But was it better than Granny Goldie's?



Bologna is actually a sausage and is commonly used as a luncheon meat. Many people pronounce the word “baloney”, my favorite term for it is “Poor Man's Steak.”


There are many varieties of bologna-German Bologna, Beef Bologna, Kosher Bologna, and Garlic Bologna. Depending upon the kind of Bologna, it could include pork, beef, chicken, and spices. You can buy it thinly sliced, thick sliced or buy it by the pound and slice it however thick you want.


I now give my friend Angie the award for being the “Best Bologna Sandwich Maker in the World.” Passing the torch from Granny Goldie to Angie is a huge accomplishment in my book. If anyone out there would like to challenge Angie for her title, feel free to make your best sandwich, bring it to me and I will be the judge!!




 

BOLOGNA & EGG SCRAMBLE

●Sliced bologna, cut up into pieces
●2 eggs, beaten
●shredded cheese

Scramble all together in skillet and serve.



BOLOGNA SALAD SANDWICH

●1 ½ pounds bologna, ground
●1 to 1-1/4 cups mayonnaise
●3/4 cup sweet pickle relish, well drained
●3 tablespoons chopped onion
●1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
●30 slices bread
●15 slices process American cheese
●Lettuce leaves, optional

In a bowl, mix bologna, mayonnaise, relish, onion and Worcestershire sauce. Use about 1/3 cup of the salad for each sandwich, and top with a slice of cheese and lettuce if desired.


 
FRIED BOLOGNA CASSEROLE

●8 slices bologna
●3 tablespoons butter
●1 onion, chopped
●4 cups warm mashed potatoes
●1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease baking dish. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the bologna slices in the hot skillet until browned on both sides, about 1 minute per side. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Wipe excess grease from the skillet, reduce heat to medium, and stir in the butter and onion. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir the onions into the warm mashed potatoes. Spread half of the mashed potatoes into the prepared baking dish. Layer with half of the fried bologna, and sprinkle with half of the cheese. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Bake uncovered in the preheated oven until the cheese is bubbly, and the center is hot, about 30 minutes.
  


NEXT WEEK—Hey Charlie, It's The Great Pumpkin

Remember......Life is short. Eat Dessert first!!

1 comment:

  1. Misty @ Hopkins County CouponerOctober 21, 2011 at 4:07 AM

    Now, I have never met a casserole recipe that I'd be brave enough to try...until today! I usually say casseroles are "too interesting" for my picky palate, but I think I could handle that Bologna Casserole with no problem! And, Save A Lot has Eckrich Bologna on sale 10 for $10 right now!

    ReplyDelete