Thursday, October 13, 2011

My Friend Joe

(Published on iSurf News on October 13, 2011)

I have several friends named Joe. I have a few musician friends that are named Joe, one of which is the bass player in my favorite local band, Mudd River Union, and the other Joe is an amazing thumbpicker. I also have a friend named Joe that works at my favorite electronics store. Due to my love of that store and my inability to control myself, I only get to see him once, maybe twice per year. I once dated a guy named Joe and I often call my son Jo-Jo. But my favorite Joe is the first one I spend time with in the morning and the last one before I crash at night. Yes, I am a coffee drinker.


For me, coffee was an acquired taste. It took me years to become the coffee drinker I am today. My Granny Goldie was an avid coffee drinker, having what seemed like a fresh pot of coffee available at all times. I watched her drink coffee morning, noon, and night, drinking it with meals and drinking it on 100 degree days. I do not know why I was so fascinated with her coffee habits, but I remember wishing that I could drink coffee like her.

Over the years, I have graduated from a novice coffee drinker who only dabbled in the coffee world during the coldest time of the year, to an expert coffee drinker who has a pot of coffee readily available at nearly all times.

There are so many flavors of coffee and creamers to satisfy anyone's taste, but this is one area of my life where I choose to be boring. I love different flavors, smells and tastes but not with my coffee. I am a Plain Jane when it comes to my Joe.

Coffee has many uses. Add it to a recipe to jazz up your food or freeze it in ice cube trays to use for iced coffee. The uses for coffee are limitless.

So, sit back with a cup of your favorite coffee and enjoy a few recipes along with a list of different ways to use coffee.
 
 

EASY COFFEE CRUNCH COOKIES

•1 1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
•1 teaspoon baking powder
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1/2 cup sugar
•1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
•3/4 cup shortening
•1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
•2 tablespoons hot water
•1 egg
•1 1/2 cup flaked coconut

Into a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream together the sugars and shortening. Dissolve coffee granules or powder in hot water; blend into creamed mixture along with the egg.

Stir in coconut and sifted dry ingredients. Drop dough but rounded teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 10 to 12 minutes.

 

COFFEE BURGERS

•1 pound of ground beef
•1 heaping tablespoon of dark roasted ground coffee
•2 heaping tablespoons of breadcrumbs
•A dash of seasoned salt
•A dash of pepper
•A dash of oregano
•Bacon
•Cheddar or American Cheese
•Potato Hamburger Buns or Kaiser Roll
•And any other toppings that you like – lettuce, tomatoes, etc

Mix the coffee, breadcrumbs seasoned salt, pepper and oregano into a large bowl. Split the meat into four equal pieces and coat them into the coffee/breadcrumb mix. Roll them into a ball, then flatten about ½ inch thick. Grill and enjoy.

 

Other Uses For Coffee
 
►Mocha Brownies-1 cup or less coffee required. When making a batch of brownies, use the coffee instead of water or milk. It gives an intense mocha flavor.
►A Marinade-Make a beef marinade by mixing coffee with chili powder, soy sauce, or whatever else you find that’s interesting.
 ►Coffee Glazes-Mix with confectioner’s sugar for a nice glaze.
 ►Ice Cubes-Rather than using regular ice cubes, freeze coffee in your ice tray. This is great for iced coffee that you do not want diluted by melting ice.
 ►Fabric Dye-Dye whites with either coffee or tea to get that gentle yellow.
 ►Antiquing Paper-Dilute the coffee and just paint over a piece of paper with the coffee. Let it dry and now you have antique paper.
 ►Scratch Remover-Use the coffee to dye scratches in your brown furniture.
 ►Wood Stain-Keep adding a layer of coffee each day with a brush until you like the color.
 ►Repels Fleas-After you give your dog a bath, rub coffee grounds through the coat of your pet. Coffee grounds are said to repel fleas.
 ►Bait Worms-Keep worms alive by mixing coffee grounds into the soil before you add worms.
 


NEXT WEEK—Full of Bologna

Remember......Life is short. Eat Dessert first!!

2 comments:

  1. Misty @ Hopkins County CouponerOctober 13, 2011 at 5:22 AM

    If I was a coffee drinker, I'd have to have one with vanilla and caramel and chocolate...dessert coffee? is there such a thing? sounds like a trendy line of coffee. the slogan could be "Drink Dessert Coffee, because life is short, have coffee and dessert first!" ;-}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misty @ Hopkins County CouponerOctober 13, 2011 at 5:23 AM

    Have you tried the coffee grounds to repell fleas? I may have to give that one a try on my outside cats!

    ReplyDelete