Thursday, September 22, 2011

Neither Snow Nor Rain

(Published on iSurf News on September 22, 2011)
 
When you were young, what kind of games did you play? Did you enjoy playing board games? Maybe you enjoyed playing card games, jacks or even some games that involved exercise, such as frisbee or catch. When I got a little older, I enjoyed going to the local arcade and dropping quarters into the machines. Many times, I was the high scorer on the Ms. Pac Man game, but I also loved Pac Man, Asteroids and Space Invaders.

I also remember going to teen parties and playing spin the bottle, hoping that when the spinning bottle stopped, it was pointing right at the one I wanted to kiss. There is one game that I do not remember playing, Post Office. For the life of me, I cannot remember playing that game.



We have been hearing a lot of news about the post office recently. I have heard about possible changes coming with the USPS, everything from stopping Saturday delivery to selling non-post office items to raising the price of stamps. We are already seeing some of the smaller post office closing and “mini” post offices popping up in places such as convenience stores and grocery stores. I do believe that the postal service as we know it will soon be so different that we will not recognize it.


One can only think about recent changes in technology to see why changes are coming with the postal services. I am still amazed at how a fax machine can transmit from point A to point B. I absolutely love the internet; there is just something about having a wealth of knowledge at my fingertips. Truly, in the past 100 years, the world has become a smaller place. I can pay my bills online rather than sending a paper check through the mail. I can type up an email to a friend in a matter of minutes rather than hand writing it out, addressing an envelope and mailing it. I can monitor my bank account, order groceries and check the movies that are showing at the local theater, all of these things I can do right in front of my computer screen. I literally would never have to purchase a stamp ever again. But is this a good thing? One thing about it, it is a personal thing.


I will take some words from a song from the early days of MTV in the 80's, “Video killed the radio star.” Will internet kill the postal service? The only thing that never changes is the fact that things change.



 

Here are some recipes to get you through the rain, sleet and snow.

RAIN OR SHINE CHICKEN

●3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
●1 12 oz. can tomato sauce (or 1 1/2 8 oz. cans)
●3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
●2 tablespoons brown sugar or honey
●1/2 cup onion, chopped
●2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
●4 1/2-5 lbs. chicken, cut into pieces
●6 cups vegetable or peanut oil (for frying)

Combine lemon juice, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, honey or brown sugar, onion and garlic in a Ziploc bag. Add chicken pieces and marinate in refrigerator 8 hours or overnight, stirring occasionally. Deep fry in oil that has been heated to 375 degrees. Drain chicken pieces and lower into hot oil using tongs, several pieces at a time.

 

GRILLED FISH WITH SWEET VINEGAR

●2 fillets of mackerel or salmon
●Salt
●¼ daikon (white Japanese radish) or mooli
●Marushima Shioponzu, a type of citrus vinegar made with citrus juice, soy sauce, mirin, vinegar & dashi.

Rub the fillets gently with salt on both sides then set aside for 30 minutes. Finely grate the daikon and mix with the Shioponzu*. Grill the fillets under a medium heat, 5 minutes on each side. Remove the fillets from the grill, pile over the radish mix, and serve immediately.


 

SNOW PUDDING
 

●1/2 c. cold water
●2 1/2 c. boiling water
●1 c. sugar
●1/2 c. lemon juice
●2 tsp. gelatin, unflavored
●3 eggs, whites only, reserve yolks for custard sauce
Soak gelatin in 1/2 cup water for 5 minutes. Pour over boiling water and dissolve. Add sugar and lemon juice. Strain and chill. Beat again and add beaten whites of eggs. Beat and chill.

CUSTARD SAUCE FOR SNOW PUDDING

 

●2 c. milk, scalded
●3 egg yolks
●1/4 c. sugar
●1/8 tsp. salt
●1 tsp. cornstarch
●1/2 tsp. vanilla

Mix together and cook in saucepan until it coats the spoon. Spoon over pudding.

 

NEXT WEEK—My Life According to Maxine

Remember......Life is short. Eat Dessert first!!

No comments:

Post a Comment