Thursday, September 8, 2011

Grandparents Day

(Published on iSurf News on September 8, 2011)

When my son was born, he was the first grandchild for my parents and the first great-grandchild for my maternal grandparents. That kid did not have a chance. Something happens to a person when they become a grandparent. Remember all those rules they had as parents? Well, they do not apply to the grandchild. They still apply to you, the child, but not the grandchild.

And do you remember when your parents said, “You just wait until you have kids!” or “I hope your kids treat you just as bad as you treat me.” I remember thinking, “What do they know?” I will admit, I found out they knew more than I thought they did. Kinda gives new meaning to the phrase “What goes around comes around”.

My son was “Pappaw's Little Man”. My daddy adored that child and wanted to spend every waking moment with him. When my dad became ill, Jordan left me and moved in with them to help take care of his Pappaw. At the age of 14, Jordan had to say goodbye. He does not know it now, but one day he will realize that he spent 14 years with one of the best men that ever walked this earth.

As a child, I used to love going to stay all night at my Mammaw's house. My favorite night to stay with her was on Saturday night because that was when The Carol Burnett Show came on. I loved that show and to this day, anytime I see Carol Burnett or hear something about her, I think about those wonderful Saturday nights with Mammaw.

My paternal grandfather passed away the year before I was born, so I only had three grandparents to enjoy. I loved going to visit them, calling them on the phone and going to see them when I made weekend trips home from college. When my son was 3-years-old, I lost all three of my grandparents within six months. I did not have time to grieve over one of them when I had to say goodbye to another.

I loved my grandparents then, but I would give just about anything to be able to sit down and talk with them now. Just me and Granny, with a cup of coffee. Just me a Granddad, walking around in the back yard. Just me and Mammaw, laughing at reruns of The Carol Burnett Show.

What a shame that when we are young, we waste so much time on things and people that do not really matter. Many times, when we learn to appreciate the important people in our lives, they are gone. Just does not seem fair, does it?

Spend this weekend honoring your grandparents, whether they are still here or passed on. And please, tell your children that one day, they will wish they had spent even more time with their grandparents.

To my Mammaw in heaven......

I'm so glad we had this time together
Just to have a laugh or sing a song
Seems we just get started and before you know it
Comes the time we have to say, "So long." 
                                   (Tugging my ear)

 

Here are some great recipes for your Grandparent's Day Dinner.

BACON WRAPPED CHICKEN BITES

3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 18 ounces)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup Italian-flavored breadcrumbs, plus more if needed
9 strips bacon (about 8 ounces)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Cut each chicken thigh into 6 roughly equal pieces. Slice bacon strips in half. Dip a chicken piece in milk and roll in breadcrumbs to coat. Wrap in bacon slice and secure with toothpick. Place on baking sheet. Repeat until all chicken pieces are coated and wrapped, leaving at least 1/2 inch between each completed bite. Bake 40 to 50 minutes, until bacon begins to crisp and chicken is cooked through. Serve hot.



EASY BAKED BEANS

6 slices bacon, diced
2 medium onions, minced
3 large cans pork and beans
1/3 cup chili sauce
1-1/2 teaspoons mustard

In large skillet, cook and stir bacon and onion until bacon is crisp. Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat until bubbly. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed OR pour into ungreased 2-quart casserole; bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.



CHEDDAR MASHED POTATO AND HAM BAKE


2 tablespoons butter
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup chopped onion
3 cups diced leftover ham
1 can (10 1/2 ounces) cream of celery soup
1/2 cup milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 to 5 cups leftover or freshly prepared mashed potatoes
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
6 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided

Butter a 2 1/2 to 3-quart baking dish. Heat oven to 350°. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the celery and onion and sauté, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender. Add the ham and continue cooking until ham is lightly browned. Stir in soup, 1/2 cup milk, and add salt and pepper to taste. If the mashed potatoes are cold, warm them to make them easier to mix. Whisk together the eggs and milk and beat into the potatoes along with the green onions and parsley. Reserve about 1/3 cup of the cheese for topping and add the rest to the potato mixture.  Spoon the ham mixture into the prepared baking dish. Spread potatoes over the ham mixture and top with the reserved shredded cheese. Sprinkle with a little freshly ground black pepper. Bake for about 40 to 50 minutes, until lightly browned.

 

NEXT WEEK—Rock Around The Clock

Remember......Life is short. Eat Dessert first!!

No comments:

Post a Comment