Thursday, June 16, 2011

My Little Daddy

(Published on iSurf News on June 16, 2011)

 I have always been, and always will be, Daddy's Little Girl. While most little girls were in the kitchen with their mothers, learning how to cook and how to be a “Susie Homemaker”, I was out of the garage with my dad working on cars.
 
Before I learned to cook, I learned how to sandblast paint off a car and put a rear axle in place and bolt it up. During my senior year in high school, instead of going on the senior class trip to Florida, I decided to spend that week with my dad finishing up our latest project, restoring a 1963 Chevy II Nova SS. We had worked nearly 14 months on this project and I was so proud when it was finished. My Nova was white with a black vinyl top, black interior with automatic shift in the floor. It was not a brand new car that my dad drove off the lot and just handed me the keys. I worked for this car. Literally.

I learned so much from my dad while working on this project. Funny thing is, most of the things I learned had absolutely nothing to do with cars.

I learned that if you want things in life, you must work hard. I learned that sometimes, you have to sacrifice one thing to have something else, but I had to decide what was most important. I also learned that instant gratification is not always the best, when we put an investment into something, it is worth so much more to us.

I look back and realize that we were not working on cars. We were making memories.

In 2005, my dad had been sick for over a year. He was tired. He was tired of the pain and medications. He was tired of not being able to do the things that he used to enjoy. He had not been able to eat normal food for so long, he missed the wonderful taste of his favorite foods. Two days before he passed away, we all decided that we would have a pizza party to celebrate Mom and Dad's anniversary. We knew he was not going to be with us much longer and he had been asking for a piece of pizza for so long. That evening, the family all came together for the best pizza party ever. Dad was so happy and the pizza was so good.

Two days later, on Father's Day, we had to say our goodbyes. It was not easy to do, but we were thankful that his pain was over. We also rejoiced in knowing that Dad was going to get to be with his dad on this Father's Day. His dad had passed away over 40 years earlier and he still missed him so much.

Father's Day is hard for anyone that does not have their dad with them any longer. It does make things worse knowing that my dad left this world on Father's Day. But at the same time, I take comfort in knowing that my father was greeted by his Heavenly Father as he entered the gates of Heaven.

Happy Father's Day to all the daddy's out there. And to my Little Daddy, “I miss you so much, it still hurts. See ya soon!”

My Little Daddy

Some great pizza recipes, in honor of Daddy's Pizza Party.


GRILLED VEGETABLE PIZZA


•1 clove garlic, diced or 1/8 tsp. minced garlic
•1/4 c. fresh basil, firmly packed, or 1 1/2 tbsp. flakes
•2 tsp. fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
•2/3 c. olive oil
•1/3 c. balsamic vinegar
•1/8 tsp. salt
•1/8 tsp. pepper
•1/2 zucchini thinly sliced, (1/2 c.)
•1/2 sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips (3/4 c.)
•1 c. cherry tomatoes, halved
•10 oz. ready - made pizza dough
•8 oz. pkg. shredded part - skim mozzarella


Mix together garlic, basil, thyme, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper for marinade. Prepare vegetables. Marinate vegetables for 30 minutes. Place crust in pizza pan or cookie sheet. Sprinkle on cheese. Set aside. Remove vegetables from marinade, drain well and broil them for four minutes 8 to 10 inches from broiler. Spread broiled, drained vegetables over cheese on crust. Bake pizza at 425 degrees for 9 to 13 minutes. You could add other vegetables, too, like mushrooms, banana pepper and onion.


BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA
 
•1 pre-baked pizza crust
•1 cup spicy barbeque sauce
•2 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cubed
•1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
•1 cup sliced pepperoncini peppers
•1 cup chopped red onion
•2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place pizza crust on a medium baking sheet. Spread the crust with barbeque sauce. Top with chicken, cilantro, pepperoncini peppers, onion, and cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. 



CROCK POT PIZZA

•1 1/2 lb. hamburger (browned & drained)
•2/3 of 16 oz. box spiral macaroni (cooked & drained)
•2 (12 oz.) pkg. shredded mozzarella cheese
•1 sm. can mushrooms (chopped & drained)
•1 c. chopped onion
•2 (16 oz.) cans pizza sauce
•1 (3 oz.) pkg. pepperoni


Combine in a big pot everything but cheese and pepperoni. Layer this and cheese and pepperoni in a crock pot. Finish with cheese and pepperoni on top. Cook on low temperature for 5 hours. Serves 8.

 
 

NEXT WEEK—Brusha, Brusha, Brusha

Remember......Life is short. Eat Dessert first!!

No comments:

Post a Comment