Thursday, June 23, 2011

Brusha, Brusha, Brusha

(Published on iSurf News on June 23, 2011)

Right after my high school graduation, many moons ago, I decided to put my entrepreneurial skills to work by opening up a booth at the local flea market.
 
I was given a spot right next to where the bunny rabbits and chickens were sitting in their cages waiting to go to their new home. I sat up my table and put all my wares on display, which was mostly health and beauty products with a few pieces of clothing that I didn't want any longer.

A regular visitor, which I had known all my life, stopped each week to see what I had for sale but this particular week, my friend, Wayne Neal noticed my stockpile of brand new, still in the plastic, toothbrushes. Each time he walked by my table, he commented that I had not sold any toothbrushes. Later in the morning, Wayne stopped and said he had a sure-fire idea that would help me sell out my toothbrushes in no time.


He proceeded to tell me that I needed to whip up a batch of cookies, but in the mix, to throw in a little chicken droppings, which I could get from The Chicken Man right next door. He then proceeded to tell me to bake the cookies, then bring them to the flea market and put them on my table with a sign that says “Free Cookies”. (At this point, let me say this. For anyone that knew Wayne Neal, rest his soul, you probably know where this is going.) As soon as someone takes a bite of their cookie, they will say “This cookie tastes like crap!” At this point, Wayne said I should say, “Yep, it is.....wanna buy a toothbrush?” He guaranteed that I would make a mint selling my toothbrushes.


Last week, I was reading about how the toothbrush was invented in China on June 26, 1498. Needless to say, I immediately thought about Wayne and this conversation we had. It amazes me how we remember certain things about a person and of all things I remember about Wayne, a toothbrush brings a chuckle to my heart.


Here are some calcium rich recipes to help take care of those pearly whites.


If you have spent any amount of time at a flea market, you know that one can strike up a wonderful friendship with “The Chicken Man” or “Bunny-Man Bob” but we also learn the regular customers as they visit us week after week.
 

SALMON MACARONI SALAD 


•1 12-ounce package salad macaroni (about 2 ¾ cups dry)
•1 15-ounce can salmon
•1 ½ cups cooked whole-kernel corn
•1 ½ cups finely chopped bell pepper (red and/or green)
•½ cup chopped onion
•¾ cup chopped jicama
•Salt and pepper to taste
•2/3 cup diet mayonnaise
•2/3 cup plain yogurt
•Paprika
•1 package pre-washed spinach

Cook macaroni according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain and cool. Drain salmon and break into chunks in a large bowl. Add macaroni, corn, bell pepper, onion, jicama, salt and pepper, mixing well. Blend together mayonnaise and yogurt. Fold into salad ingredients. Place on salad plates lined with spinach leaves. Sprinkle with paprika.



 

COLORFUL VEGETABLE BAKE

•1 cup sliced carrots, fresh or frozen, thawed and drained
•1 ½ cups sliced green beans, fresh or frozen, thawed and drained
•1 14-ounce block firm tofu, drained
•1 1-pound can whole tomatoes, drained
•1 cup corn, fresh or frozen, thawed and drained
•2 cloves garlic, minced
•½ teaspoon salt
•Dash pepper
•½ cup slivered almonds

If fresh carrots and green beans are used, they will be crunchy unless partially precooked. Steam them for 5 minutes, if desired. Cut tofu into ½-inch cubes and quarter the canned tomatoes. Combine all ingredients except almonds in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Transfer into a greased 2-quart casserole. Top with almonds. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees until vegetables are cooked and tender, 30-40 minutes.


 

HIGH CALCIUM CABBAGE BREAD

•1/2 cup finely shredded red cabbage
•1/2 cup finely shredded green cabbage
•1 tsp lemon juice
•1/2 cup plain non-fat or low-fat yogurt
•1/4 cup orange juice concentrate OR 1/4 cup orange juice plus 1 Tbsp sugar
•1/4 cup canola oil
•1/4 cup powdered nonfat milk
•1 egg
•1 cup whole-wheat flour
•3/4 cup all-purpose flour
•1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
•2 tsp baking powder
•1/2 tsp salt (optional)
•1/8 tsp mace
•1/8 tsp ground ginger

Place the cabbage in a small bowl and toss it with lemon juice. In large measuring cup or medium bowl, combine the yogurt, orange juice concentrate, oil, powdered milk and egg, blending the ingredients well. Stir in the cabbage. In large bowl, combine the flours, sesame seeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt, mace, and ginger, mixing them well. Gradually add the cabbage mixture to the flour mixture and mix the ingredients until they are just combined. Pour the batter into a greased 8 x 4-inch loaf pan. Place the pan in hot oven and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Turn the bread out onto a rack to cool completely before slicing.


Note: This can be made with 1 cup of only one type of cabbage but for the sake of color, choose red cabbage. 


NEXT WEEK—The People's Princess

 
Remember......Life is short. Eat Dessert first!!

No comments:

Post a Comment