Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Grilling Tips

(Published on iSurf News on June 8, 2011)
 
I love to ride around on the weekends and see what I can find going on. This time of the year, I can usually find the wonderful smell of someone grilling out on the family barbecue. This is the point where I usually roll down my window, just to get a better smell, and I also start my investigation to see where it is coming from. When I finally find the point of origin, if it is someone I know, I immediately try to think if there is any reason for me to stop for a visit. If I cannot think of one, I will make one up as I am getting out of the car. If it is coming from a house of someone I do not know, I start counting the vehicles in the drive to see if there is enough of a crowd to where I would just blend in. OK, I confess, I do not really do this, but there are times when I want to. I know you are shaking your head. You have thought about it too!

I love to fire up the grill and I love to smoke meat in my smoker, but there is just something different when someone else does the grilling. I do not know if it is because they are doing all the work, but it taste so much better. This is not a theory, this is a fact that I can prove. My Granny Goldie used to make the best bologna sandwiches in the whole world. I do not know what she did different, I think she just pulled out two pieces of bread, slapped some mayo on them then threw on the bologna. But no matter how hard I try, my bologna sandwich never tastes as good as hers did. I rest my case.

We usually think of cooking meats when we think of grilling, but there are so many other things that can be cooked on the grill. Several years ago during the ice storm of the century, I cooked biscuits inside the grill while cooking scrambled eggs and bacon on the side burner. I also love to cook vegetables in foil packs and corn on the cob.

Veggie packs come out perfect every time by adding something that will create moisture while cooking. Cut up Polish Sausage into the pack or add some oil or even an ice cube or two, just to keep the pack from becoming too dry. Add a slit in the pack to allow for steaming of the veggies.

Another great way to grill vegetables is to use skewers and make kabobs. If using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water before placing on the grill. Use basting sauces that have little sugar as sugar burns easier.

Cooking corn on the cob on the grill will have better results if the corn is soaked in water before being placed on the grill. Removing all but a few layers of the husks will allow the moisture to help steam the corn but keep it from burning. The husks themselves may burn a little, creating smoke that can then flavor the corn. For added flavor, pull back the husks and coat the corn with butter and other spices then put the husks back into place.

So, now is the time to go out and visit those Farmer's Markets to pick out your favorite fresh vegetables. And don't forget to keep in touch with your gardening friends. Soon, they will have more veggies than they can handle!


GRILLED CORN AND WATERMELON RELISH


●4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
●6 ears corn, leave husks on
●Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
●1 small seedless watermelon (about 2 pounds), cut into 2-inch-thick slices, rind removed
●1/2 cup maple syrup
●1 small red onion, diced
●4 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
●2 cloves garlic, minced
●Zest and juice of 1 lemon
●Zest and juice of 1 lime

Prepare grill to medium-high heat. Peel back husks and rub 3 tablespoons olive oil over corn and season with salt and pepper, put husks back in place. Place on grill and cook 8 to 10 minutes, turning frequently. Add watermelon to grill and cook 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Remove corn and watermelon from grill and set aside to cool. Once cooled, peel husks, cut corn kernels off the cobs and dice watermelon into 1/2-inch cubes.

In a small saucepan on grill or stove top, heat maple syrup until bubbling. Add watermelon and stir to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine corn, onion, cilantro, garlic, zest and juice of lemon and lime, remaining olive oil, and maple syrup and watermelon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

 

BBQ BUTTER

●2 tablespoons canola oil
●1/2 small red onion, chopped
●2 cloves garlic, chopped
●2 teaspoons Spanish paprika
●1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
●1 teaspoon toasted cumin seeds
●1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
●1/2 cup water
●1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, slightly softened
●1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
●Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil in a medium sauté pan over high heat until almost smoking. Add the onion and cook until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the paprika, cayenne, cumin and ancho powder and cook for 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup of water and cook until the mixture becomes thickened and the water reduces. Let cool slightly.


Place the butter in a food processor, add the spice mixture and Worcestershire sauce and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, scrape the mixture into a small bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. Bring to room temperature before serving.


 

HERB BUTTER
 
●2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
●1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (basil, chives or tarragon)
●1 teaspoon kosher salt
●Freshly ground black pepper

Combine in a food processor and process until smooth. 

 

NEXT WEEK—My Little Daddy

Remember......Life is short. Eat Dessert first!!

No comments:

Post a Comment