Thursday, August 18, 2011

My Epiphany

(Published on iSurf News on August 18, 2011)

I was a late bloomer when it came to going to college. There were so many things that I wanted to do, I couldn't decide what to do.

I finally decided that I was going to be a teacher and help young people learn, but as soon as I realized that I would probably be going to school the rest of my life, I decided to pursue another path. By the time I packed my little orange Toyota Corolla, which I called my “Pumpkin”, and headed off to college, I was 21-years-old.

Checking into the dorm, I felt so old. It is strange how just a few years of “finding yourself” can make such a difference in your priorities and actions. By this time, I had my head on straight, I knew what I wanted to do and I was focused enough to set out on my mission.


I had left behind a set of parents that had never left home, and had never chased a dream, so sending their child off to a big city and out into the big bad world was scary. This was long before I ever had a cell phone, so constant communication as we know it today, was not available at that time. My family and I came up with a way for me to call home to let them know I was fine without running up a huge phone bill. Little did they know that when I would make my “I'm OK” phone call, I would then take off with friends for midnight runs to our favorite restaurant for Snicker Pie. Snicker Pie was very rich, in more ways than one. Sometimes, three of us would order one piece of pie and three forks but it only took a few bites of that scrumptious dessert to get enough sugar for a week. My other favorite foods while in college was Ramen Noodles and Mac-n-Cheese. It was not so much that they were my favorite foods to eat, but since I was a very poor college student, the three of us became very good friends.


Did you know there are literally thousands of ways to prepare Ramen Noodles and Mac-n-Cheese? There was definitely a correlation between my economic status and my creativity.


I had an epiphany when I made my first trip back home after moving away to college. It was like a slap in the face when I realized that life at home had went on without me. I heard all about everything that had been going on for the past few weeks. I listened in shock. Everyone was having a wonderful time. My family had survived without me. How could this happen? This was my first realization that I was only a small blip in a huge universe.


My parents used to send me weekly letters about how things were going back home, what I like to call “Life Goes On Without You” letters. In those letters, they always included a crisp one dollar bill. Now, mind you, this was many years ago, when you could actually purchase two, sometimes three items with that dollar bill, but still, it was a treat to get that dollar. Those dollars were safely tucked into my secret "Snicker Pie" account.


I do not make those midnight Snicker Pie runs anymore. I have not seen the midnight hour in years. Every now and then I will treat myself to a pack of Ramen Noodles. Makes me wonder how I ever ate those things day after day. And when my son makes a batch of Mac-n-Cheese, I have to pass on it because now, it gives me heartburn. Man, I have gotten old.


 

SNICKERS PIE


8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
3 regular sized Snickers candy bars, chopped
16 ounces cool whip, thawed
2 (6 ounce) chocolate cookie pie crust or 2 (6 ounce) graham cracker pie crust


In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and peanut butter until creamy. Stir in chopped candy bars. Gently fold in the Cool Whip just until mixed. Pour into crusts and refrigerate overnight.


 

RAMEN NOODLES WITH CHICKEN
 
1 pkg Chicken Ramen Noodles
1 breast of Chicken
1 T. Oil
Garlic Powder
Salt & Pepper
Cilantro
1/2 Green Pepper, diced
1 Lime, cut in half

Cook the noodles according to package directions, add chicken flavoring and then drain. While noodles are cooking, dice chicken breast into small cubes. Heat oil in a skillet, brown the chicken. Season the chicken with a teaspoon of garlic powder, a couple pinches of salt, black pepper and cilantro. Add diced green pepper to the chicken, continue sautéing. Arrange noodles on a plate, Squeeze half of lime onto noodles and then put chicken and peppers on top of noodles. Cut the remaining other half of the lime into two quarters and use as a garnish for the dish.

 
 

MAC-N-CHEESE, POOR COLLEGE STUDENT STYLE

Prepare Mac-n-Cheese according to package directions.
Open can of ham that was purchased at dollar store with that little key that never works correctly. Cut ham into small pieces and mix into Mac-n-Cheese.
If you are a really, really poor college student, purchase the store brand of Spam.
Spoon into Cool-Whip bowl and eat with spoon brought back from fast food restaurant. Enjoy while pretending it is steak and baked potato.
 
 


NEXT WEEK—My Friend Herb

Remember......Life is short. Eat Dessert first!!


No comments:

Post a Comment