Thursday, August 11, 2011

Dreaming The Dream

(Published on iSurf News on August 11, 2011)


When you are young, was there an ice cream truck that came through your neighborhood? Or did you have a neighborhood store that you could walk to on a hot summer day to get your favorite ice cream treat? If so, you were lucky. I had neither. 

I grew up in a rural area where the closest neighbor was a “good, loud holler away”. I always envied the kids that grew up in neighborhoods where they could ride their bikes up and down the sidewalks and where they could just run next door to play with their friends. Not only did I not have my own ice cream truck or a neighborhood store, I also did not have a sidewalk for riding my bike or a friend that lived close enough I could run next door.


So, my ice cream treats were bought when we went grocery shopping, which was always on Thursdays. My favorite treat was an orange push-up. I loved pulling that paper cap off of the tube, taking a whiff of that wonderful orange smell and then pushing that plastic straw up the tube to reveal my favorite treat. I was so good at preparing my push-up in record time.

I'm not sure if I just out grew my orange push-ups or if we just did not buy them anymore, but more recently, I can remember buying the dreamcicle. Same wonderful orange smell, similar taste, but much less work to eat.

Several years ago, a friend made some Creamscicle Fudge. I was in love again. The smell and the taste brought back so many memories from my childhood. If you have not tried this wonderful recipe, you are in for a treat.



 

ORANGE CREAMSICLE FUDGE

3 c sugar
3/4 cup butter, divided
3/4 cup heavy cream
12 ounces vanilla chips
3 teaspoons orange extract
12 drops yellow food coloring
9 drops red food coloring
7 ounces marshmallow cream

Grease 13x9-inch pan with 1 1/2 teaspoons of butter or margarine. In heavy saucepan, combine sugar, cream, and butter. Stir while cooking on low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil while stirring, 4 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in chips and marshmallow cream until smooth. Set aside 1 cup of this mixture. Add orange extract and food colorings to remaining mixture; stirring until blended. Pour into the greased pan. Drop the remaining 1 cup mixture by tablespoons, over the top; swirl with a knife. Cover and chill until it has set. Cut into squares.

 

ORANGE CREAM CAKE


1 (18.25 ounce) package orange cake mix
2 (3 ounce) packages orange flavored gelatin mix
1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

Bake cake as directed in a 9x13 inch pan. When done, use a meat fork to poke holes across the top of the entire cake. Allow to cool. In a medium bowl, mix together 1 box gelatin, 1 cup hot water and 1 cup cold water. Pour over top of cake. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours. Mix remaining box of gelatin, pudding mix, milk and vanilla together. Beat well. Fold whipped topping into this mixture, and spread on top of cake. Chill in refrigerator until serving. 

 

CHOCOLATE-ORANGE FLAVORED MOUSSE

3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup water
1 orange, zested
10 eggs, separated
2/3 cup chopped almonds

In a small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate with water, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat, stir in orange zest, and let cool. Beat egg whites until stiff. Beat egg yolks into cooled chocolate. Beat a small amount of whites into chocolate with almonds. Fold in remaining egg whites. Chill in individual serving dishes 8 hours or overnight before serving.

 


NEXT WEEK—My Epiphany

Remember......Life is short. Eat Dessert first!!

No comments:

Post a Comment