Thursday, March 8, 2012

My New Interest

(Published on surfKY News on March 8, 2012)

Several weeks ago, a friend sent me an invitation to a website called Pinterest, which is a site for setting up boards to post things that you find while surfing the internet. At first I was not very interested in Pinterest, but I started reading about it and checking out what others are posting to their boards and then I became addicted.

We are creatures of habit and lately, I have noticed that my surfing habits lead me to the same sites day after day. I check my email; I check my twitter feed, CNN, Facebook and a few other favorites. But I am not one to venture too far out of my comfort zone, even if it only consists of a few strokes on the keyboard. But Pinterest gives me the opportunity to “follow” people that I know or that have the same interests as I do. I have found many new sites that interest me just by checking out the boards of the people I follow.


I have set up many boards on my site, mostly culinary boards full of wonderful recipes, along with some crafts, music, favorite television shows and my Kentucky Wildcats. I like this more than just bookmarking a site because it is hard to remember what I found and where I marked it. With Pinterest, you pin your interest to a board and choose which picture you want, which makes it easier to find later.

You must have an invite to join Pinterest. Chances are, you already know someone on this fast-growing site, but if not, you can request one off the site at www.pinterest.com or send me an email and I will send you one. Then when you get on there, follow me at http://pinterest.com/culinarybyleigh/

Here are a few of my favorite recipes that I have found on Pinterest. Be careful, you just might become addicted too!
 


pizza dipPIZZA DIP


•4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
•1/4 c sour cream
•1/4 c mayonnaise
•1/2 c mozzarella, grated
•1/4 c parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
•1 c pizza sauce
•1/2 c mozzarella, shredded/grated
•1/4 c parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
•2 ounces pepperoni, sliced
2 T green pepper, sliced
•2 T black olives, sliced

Mix the cream cheese, sour cream mayonnaise, mozzarella and parmigiano reggiano and spread it across the bottom of a pie plate. Spread the pizza sauce on top and sprinkle on the cheese, pepperoni, green pepper and olives. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until the sides are bubbling and the cheese has melted and turned golden brown on top, about 20 minutes.

 

BLACK BEAN & SWEET POTATO BURRITOS
black bean
•1 large yam or sweet potato, peeled and diced
•1 small or 1/2 large onion, cut into a large dice
•2 T taco seasoning (about 1/2 a commercial packet)
•olive oil
•1 (14.5oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
•2 T minced cilantro (optional)
•10? Tortillas
•Favorite toppings: lettuce, tomato, lime wedges, salsa, sour cream, cheese etc. for serving.

In a medium bowl, toss sweet potato, onion, taco seasoning and about 2 T olive oil. Stir to coat well. Spread mixture out on a large baking sheet. Roast at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring half-way through the cook time, and adding more olive oil if necessary. Toss black beans and cilantro with roasted vegetables and scoop into tortillas with favorite toppings. Roll to seal burritos and grill if desired.

 

CABBAGE ROLL CASSEROLE
cabbage roll
•1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
•2 T Olive Oil
•1 pound Ground Beef
•2 c Cooked Rice
•1 whole Egg
•1 t Salt & Pepper
•1 t Dried Italian Seasoning
•1 T Worcestershire Sauce
•1 can Diced Tomatoes, 14.5 oz
•1 can Tomato Sauce, 8 oz
•3 c chopped cabbage

Sauté the onion in olive oil first and then brown lean beef with it. Add rice, egg, Italian seasoning, S&P. Mix well. In a separate bowl, mix diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. In a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish, begin layering casserole with 1/2 cabbage; 1/2 meat mixture; 1/2 tomato mixture; then finish with rest of cabbage, meat mixture & tomato mixture. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour; uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes.

NEXT WEEK—Finger Lickin' Good

Remember......Life is short. Eat Dessert first!!

No comments:

Post a Comment