Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Big 21

  (Published on surfKY News on January 19, 2012)

“When they are little, they step on your feet. When they grow up, they step on your heart”. If you have had any part of raising a child, you are probably familiar with this quote, which is one of my favorites. Another of my favorites was quoted by the infamous television father, Cliff Huxtable, “I brought you into this world......and I'll take you out!”

When I was pregnant, I did a lot of reading and researching on parenting. With all this information, I just knew that I could be a wonderful parent and have a terrific child. I forgot the part about the child having his own brain!


When JoJo was little, I taught him his ABC's and 123's. I also taught him to respect others and to always take his manners with him everywhere he went. I nursed him through earaches and tummy aches. With much resistance, I tried to show him that board games could be just as fun as video games. I have watched him kick, pass and throw every kind of ball that was ever made. I made it through his baggy and holey jeans phase and even survived the long hair days. I have tried to instill a love for God, animals and friends into a child that already had a heart as big as Texas. I survived JoJo getting his driver's license and also having his first car accident. I watched him hurt when that first special girl broke his heart and I watched him crumble under the loss of his Papaw.

I have tried to plant many different seeds into his life, hoping that a few will grow in his heart. I have watched him roll his eyes when I try to give him those wise words of wisdom that all parents try to tell their children. Here recently, I have started to think that maybe, just maybe, some of my seeds are beginning to grow. I do not see as much eye-rolling and there are actually times that he will speak my wise words of wisdom along with me. Somewhere along the way, when I thought he was not listening, he was.

Tomorrow, January 20, my JoJo will turn 21. Seems like only yesterday when I brought him home from the hospital. And then I blinked. A child will never know the love that their parent feels for them, until they become a parent themselves.

So, as we turn the pages into the next chapter of life, I will continue my role of mother, but now, to an adult child. Hopefully, he will allow me to continue to nurture him and to continue planting seeds. Over the years, my words of wisdom have changed from the simple things like, “Don't scratch it or it won't get well” to “If you want to be a weight lifter, then you hang with weight lifters.”

But my favorite words of wisdom for JoJo is one of living with no regrets. “Live your life to be able to say, 'Man, I wish I hadn't done that', rather than, 'Man, I wish I had done that'.”

Happy 21st Birthday, JoJo. I will always love you.



Here are a few of JoJo's favorite recipes.



LAYERED MEXICAN DIP

mexican dip
•1 package taco seasoning mix
•1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
•1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
•1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
•1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
•1 large tomato, chopped
•1 green bell pepper, chopped
•1 bunch chopped green onions
•1 small head iceberg lettuce, shredded
•1 (6 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
•2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

In a medium bowl, blend the taco seasoning mix and refried beans. Spread the mixture onto a large serving platter. Mix the sour cream and cream cheese in a medium bowl. Spread over the refried beans. Top the layers with salsa. Place a layer of tomato, green bell pepper, green onions and lettuce over the salsa, and top with Cheddar cheese. Garnish with black olives.




BROCCOLI CORNBREAD
broc cornbread
•2 boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
•4 eggs, beaten
•1 1/2 sticks melted butter or margarine (6 ounces)
•1 pkg. (10 oz.) chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
•1 medium onion, chopped

Combine all ingredients and pour into greased 9- X 13-inch baking dish. Bake at 375° for 35 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned. 
 


OATMEAL PIE
baked oatmeal
•2 eggs, slightly beaten
•2/3 c melted butter
•2/3 c white corn syrup
•1 T brown sugar
•2/3 c oatmeal
•1 t vanilla
•1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust

In a medium bowl, combine eggs, butter, corn syrup, brown sugar, oatmeal, and vanilla; mix well. Pour into unbaked pie crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until firm. Serve topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.


NEXT WEEK— The Cornchips Have It



Remember......Life is short. Eat Dessert first!!

2 comments:

  1. Another great post, Leigh! I really had to fight back the tears. I only met him once for a short time, but JoJo seems like a really great young man (I wanted to say kid, b/c I'm so old, but I guess he's all grown up!)
    If you're a couponer, I've got a savings tip for you! Shredded Cheese and Sour Cream are both on sale this week! Put them on your shopping list for Market Place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Misty. I always love it that you post on here. That was probably the most emotional article to date, but it's so true. Your kiddos are still little. But just like I said, you will blink. We cannot stop the fact that time marches on. Hold them close while you can. Keep planting the seeds, even when you think they are not listening. Chances are, they really are. They just don't want us to know.Thanks for the savings tips. Now, if we could only save up more time.

    ReplyDelete