Friday, November 18, 2011

National Bread Day

(Published on surfKY News on November 17, 2011)

I have a friend that was always bragging about these amazing yeast rolls that his wife made. Finally, one day I was able to check out these rolls, and he was right. They were the best rolls I have ever eaten. He was kind enough to share the recipe, so I gathered everything to make them myself. Of course, like the bologna sandwiches I constantly talk about, my rolls were not near as good as hers were.

Last week, I told my friend that on Thursday, November 17, we would be celebrating National Homemade Bread Day and asked if he minded if I shared their recipe for those wonderful rolls. I saw him yesterday and he asked me if I knew that today (Thursday) was National Homemade Bread Day. “Uh...well...yeah. I'm the one that told you.” He had arranged for many people in the office to bring in some homemade bread so they could celebrate. Only problem was, I was not going to be in that office today. So, I provide the information about the day and he made arrangements for the celebration that I do not get to attend. He knows I'm just picking on him, like I always do. But trust me; he gets his jabs into me also.


Even though I am not going to be around for the bread celebration, I am going to go ahead and share their wonderful yeast rolls recipe along with the recipe adjusted for cinnamon rolls, and along with an old standby recipe, Monkey Bread. So, as a message to my friends for letting me share their recipes.....“That will be $10,000 please.”
 


YEAST ROLLS
yeast rolls

●3 Cups Bread flour
●1/4 cup sugar
●1 stick butter, plus more for dipping
●1 cup water
●1 package rapid rise yeast
●1 egg

Mix yeast with sugar and 2 cups flour. Heat water and dissolve butter in water. Stir butter mixture, beaten egg and 1 cup of flour into yeast and flour mixture. Mix well in large bowl and let rise for about 30 minutes.  Knead dough until smooth and elastic on floured board. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick and cut in circles with rim of glass. Dip each circle in additional melted butter and fold in half.  Place rolls in round cake pan (about 10-12 per pan) and brush tops with melted butter. Let rise until tops of rolls are slightly above top of pan. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes until browned. (Makes 36 rolls)



CINNAMON ROLLS

 
cin rollsUse recipe as above, but substitute 1 cup warm milk for 1 cup water. Roll dough into rectangle and brush with mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Roll up dough and slice about 1/2 inch thick, using thread. Let rise in pan and bake as above. Ice when cool with powdered sugar and milk mixed to creamy consistency. (Makes about 36 rolls)




MONKEY BREAD
 
monkey bread●4 cans refrigerator biscuits (about 40)
●1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
●1/2 cup butter
●1 cup white sugar
●1 cup brown sugar, packed
●1/2 cup pecans, raisins and/or coconut, if desired

Cut each biscuit into 4 pieces. Pour sugar and cinnamon into a plastic bag and mix. Add biscuit pieces, several at a time; shake to coat well. Place pieces in a buttered tube or Bundt pan until all are used. Sprinkle layers with nuts, raisins or coconut. Bring brown sugar and butter to a boil in saucepan. Cool 10 minutes, then pour over top of biscuits. Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes. Allow to cool 15 minutes before removing from pan. Turn upside down to serve.

NEXT WEEK—The Blackest Day Of The Year


Remember......Life is short. Eat Dessert first!!

1 comment:

  1. I had monkey bread for the first and only time at my aunt's house in IL when i was much younger. thanks {again} for bringing back such a wonderful memory for me!

    ReplyDelete