Thursday, March 31, 2011

“Tricky” Recipes and Other Pranks

(Published on iSurf News on March 31, 2011)

I remember when growing up, my brother and I always tried to “out do” each other when it came to our April Fool's Day jokes. The best one that sticks out in my mind was played on me, so I'll have to give props to my brother for coming up with it.

I was probably about 16 or 17 years old and my brother was seven years younger. One morning, right at 4:00, I was awaken to what I thought was a beeping sound. I was still in that “sleep paralysis” state, you know, when you are not really awake but you are not really asleep either. I wasn't sure if I was dreaming or if I was really hearing something. After a while longer, I became more awake and realized that surely, I was hearing a beeping sound. I sat up in bed and listened to see where the sound was coming from. The beeping was under my bed and I knew it was bomb!! I started pulling things out from under my bed (because we all know that every teenager keeps things under their bed). Then, I saw it. A small, square, battery-powered alarm clock. I turned it off and wondered why there was an alarm clock set for 4:00 am hidden up under my bed. Then, the light bulb came on! I rememberd that it was April Fool's Day. And I also knew that I had a little brother that just loved to get one on his big sister. I remember walking down the hall to his bedroom, thinking that I was going to get him. Then I saw him sleeping soundly, so I closed the door, thinking that I'd pay him back later. Come to think of it, I never did.

Enjoy some of these fun & “tricky” recipes.


Pizza Cake

1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
1 cup vanilla frosting
Red liquid or paste food coloring
3 ounces white baking chocolate, grated
2 strawberry Fruit Roll-Ups

Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour the batter into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

Place each cake on a 10-in. serving platter. Combine the frosting and food coloring; spread over the top of each cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with grated chocolate for cheese.

Unroll Fruit Roll-Ups; use a 1-1/2 in. round cutter to cut into circles for pepperoni. Arrange on cakes.


Tricky Taco Cups


1 cup ground pecans
1 pint chocolate or vanilla ice cream
1-3/4 teaspoons water, divided
6 drops green food coloring
1-3/4 cups flaked coconut, divided
4 drops yellow food coloring
6 waffle ice cream bowls
6 tablespoons whipped topping
3 pieces black rope licorice, cut into 1/4-inch slices
9 maraschino cherries, patted dry, halved

Place pecans in a shallow bowl. Drop small scoops of ice cream into pecans; roll to coat. Place on a baking sheet; freeze until firm. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1-1/2 teaspoons water and green food coloring; add 1-1/2 cups coconut. Seal bag and shake to tint. In a small resealable plastic bag, combine yellow food coloring and remaining water; add remaining coconut. Seal bag and shake to tint. Place coated ice cream balls in waffle bowls. Sprinkle with green coconut. Dollop with whipped topping. Sprinkle with the yellow coconut and licorice; top with the cherries. Serve immediately.


Mock Apple Pie


2 cups water
1 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
30 buttery round crackers
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
1 cup crushed buttery round crackers
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). In a saucepan over medium high heat, combine the water, sugar and cream of tartar; bring to boil. Drop in whole crackers and boil for 5 minutes. Pour mixture into pie shell; sprinkle with cinnamon and lemon juice. Mix together the crushed crackers, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter; sprinkle over pie filling. Bake for 15 minutes and reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and continue to bake for 15 to 20 minutes longer. Serve warm.


NEXT WEEK—Recipes for Dog Appreciation Month!

Remember......Life is short. Eat Dessert first!!

No comments:

Post a Comment