Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Taste Just Like Chicken

(Published on iSurf News on May 11, 2011)


My family always took a summer vacation when I was growing up but I always remember it being such a rush to do everything that we had to come home to get some rest.
 

When I moved up to the role of the vacation planner, I had my own set of rules. #1-We would enjoy the journey there. Shouldn't that be part of the memories? #2-We would be spontaneous. We live on a schedule all the time. I don't want my vacation on a schedule. #3-We would not, I repeat, would not eat at any chain restaurants. I always loved trying out all the local flavors and some of the best were usually off the beaten path.

One of my most memorable vacations was when my son was about six or seven years old and we were enjoying the beaches of Panama City. We relaxed on the beach, he played in the ocean. We relaxed in the lounge chairs, he played in the pool. We enjoyed the balcony, he played in the tub. Yes, my son was born part fish, which he did not get from me as I absolutely hate to get wet. You can imagine my horror when he discovered that there was a pirate ship in the area. Trust me, I tried everything possible to get him to try something else, but nothing would do until he became a pirate.


When we arrived at the pirate ship, we were greeted by Captain Andy, complete in his pirate ensemble, which included an eye patch, a sword and a (fake) bottle of rum. He assured me that I would not get wet and I would enjoy the entertainment and the cruise.


So, I held my breath, walked the plank and I found a seat on the upper deck where I could watch Captain Andy and his brood entertain the kiddos. They painted their faces, gave them pirate hats and a piece of “gold” to take home. They played games and sang songs but my favorite thing they did was the “
Chicken Dance”. It was hilarious to watch all these kids trying to keep up with the “She-Pirates” doing all the finger snapping, wing flapping, twisting down/up and hand clapping. And then when it picked up speed, those little fellas could hardly keep up. JoJo probably wouldn't be caught dead doing the Chicken Dance today, but I remember him being the cutest little pirate-chicken dancer I had ever seen.

This is probably going to embarrass him to know that I've told the world that he performed the Chicken Dance on a Pirate Ship. Just think how embarrassed he would be if he saw Mom doing the Chicken Dance! (
Snap, snap, snap, snap, flap, flap, flap, flap, twist down then up, clap, clap, clap clap.)

Saturday, May 14 is “Dance Like A Chicken Day" so be sure to put that on your calendar.


Now that we have been talking about the “Chicken Dance”, you will have this tune in your head for the rest of the day. Don't forget to do the motions!




Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
4 ounces shredded Swiss cheese, divided
4 ounces boiled/cooked ham, cubed
2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups coarse bread crumbs
2/3 cup butter, chopped in tiny pieces
4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a frying pan, brown the chicken on both sides until almost cooked through; set aside.
Steam broccoli for a couple of minutes (just enough to begin the cooking process - do not cook through); set aside. Combine the crumbs, Parmesan cheese, basil, oregano, garlic salt and salt. Mix in the butter pieces. Stir in the broccoli florets.

Place chicken breasts in a buttered baking dish. Sprinkle the top of the chicken breast halves with half of the shredded Swiss cheese, the ham cubes, the bread crumb mixture, and the remaining shredded cheese (in that order). Cover and bake at 375 degrees F for approximately 30 to 40 minutes.



Honey Pineapple Chicken


3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
2 teaspoons soy sauce

In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil in batches on both sides; transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
Strain pan juices, reserving pineapple. Serve pineapple with the chicken.


 
Applesauce Glazed Chicken

1 lb Chicken tenders

1/4 c Orange marmalade
1 ts Cornstarch
1/4 ts Ginger
1/2 ts Minced garlic
1 c Applesauce
2 tb Sliced green onions

Wash and dry chicken. If using chicken breasts, cut each breast lengthwise into 4 pieces. Place in single layer in foil-lined 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Set aside. In 1-quart saucepan, combine marmalade, cornstarch, ginger and garlic. Add Applesauce. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to boil. Spread evenly over chicken. Bake at 400o F about 20 minutes or until chicken is tender and juices run clear. Garnish with green onions and serve hot over rice if desired.


NEXT WEEK—Armed Forces Day


Remember......Life is short. Eat Dessert first!!

No comments:

Post a Comment