Thursday, April 28, 2011

National Teacher's Day

(Published on iSurf News on April 28, 2011)

I was in elementary school back before students were sitting on the big yellow bus for as long as an hour each way.
 
I attended all 12 years of school in one building at Bremen Consolidated High School. As we alumini prepare to watch this old building be torn down and replaced with a more modern, up-to-date building, I can't help but think about all the wonderful times I had as a student there and a few of the teachers that made an impact on my life.

In high school, my favorite teacher was Shelia Ross, now Shelia Bivins. Ms. Ross (as she will always be to me) was my English teacher and planted the seed of my love of writing and expressing my thoughts. Just in the past few years, I have renewed my friendship with her, still wanting to call her Ms. Ross instead of Ms. Bivins. That is when she told me to just call her “Shelia”, we were now friends. What an amazing lady!


Then, there was my high school band director, W. Dale Warren. He taught me that, alone, I can play music. But if I play music with others, together, we can become a beautiful symphony. Before we would go onto the field for a show, he would lead us in a relaxation exercise that would clear our minds and get us focused on the task at hand. I still practice that exercise today. Mr. Warren is now a Professor of Music at the University of Arkansas.


I am proud to say that I am a student of each of these teachers. I'm not a 'former' student because I'm still learning from these wonderful people. I hope you have the opportunity to thank a teacher that left footprints on your life.


Here are a few of their favorite recipes.


Shelia's Sweet Potato Casserole

 
●3 cups sweet potatoes (drain off 1/2 can of liquid).
●1 cup sugar
●1/2 cup melted butter
●1 tsp. vanilla extract
●1/2 cup milk

Topping-


A few weeks ago, I attended a Relay For Life Dinner and saw my sixth grade teacher, Mary Armstong. Even though I see her out and about in the community quite often, I still make a point each time to tell her who I am because, like so many other teachers, she has had literally thousands of students. After the dinner, I walked up to her, told her my name and asked her how she was doing. Ms. Armstrong, being a cancer survivor, took my hand in hers and said very lovingly, “Honey, are you a survivor of cancer?” I said, “No, I'm a survivor of your sixth grade class.” She giggled and asked, “Was I that bad?” I told her, “At the time, yes, I thought you were. But now? Absolutely not.” What a joy she is!
 
●1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
●1/4 cup all purpose flour
●2 1/2 tsp. melted butter
●1/2 cup. chopped pecans

 
Combine sweet potatoes, sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla, and milk. Mix well, spoon into 2 quart casserole dish and cover with toping. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.



W. Dale's Cherry Delight
  

Crust-
●1 ¾ c crushed graham cracker crumbs
●2 cups sugar
●3/4 cup melted butter


Mix and press into 13 x 9 dish. Put in freezer long enough to get firm.

●1 can Eagle Brand Milk
●½ c lemon juice
●1 t vanilla
●1 large container Cool Whip

Mix together and spoon into graham cracker crust.
Spread 1 (28 ounce) can cherry pie filling for topping. Chill at least 3 hours or overnight.

What the teacher is, is more important than what he teaches. ~Karl Menninger

NEXT WEEK—Cinco De Mayo

Remember......Life is short. Eat Dessert first!!

No comments:

Post a Comment